Did You Know that Marriage Increases Your Wealth? One of the ways to increase your sustenance (rizq) is through marriage. This will no doubt come as a surprise to many brothers and sisters in Islam who are reading this blog.
Perhaps this is because of the fact that one’s poor financial situation in our times is the main reason that prevents a person from marriage.
And yet, the irony of the fact is that marriage is one of the easiest ways in which a Muslim can guarantee an increase in rizq (or sustenance or wealth) from our Lord: Allah.
Allah said in the Quran: “And marry those among you who are single (male and female). If they be poor, Allah will enrich them out of His bounty.” [Surah Nur, 32]
This verse is a strong encouragement to get married and not to worry about becoming poor because Allah will help increase their sustenance and wealth. [Tafsir Sa’adi, Page 516]
Al-Qurtubi says about this ayah:
Let not the poverty of a man or a woman be a reason for not getting married. For in this verse there is a promise to those who get married:
- for the sake of acquiring Allah’s pleasure,
- and seeking refuge from disobeying Him (that Allah will enrich them)
So, one should not say, “How am I going to get married when I don’t have any money?” because his sustence has been promised by Allah.
[Tafsir Al-Qurtubi, V. 12, P. 220]
Many companions have encouraged people to get married because it increases wealth:
- Abu Bakr As-Sidique is reported to have said: “Obey Allah in what He has commanded you to do by getting married; He will then fulfill His promise to you to make you rich.” He then recited this verse.
- Umar Ibn Khattab said: “Seek richness through marriage!”
- Likewise, Abdullah ibn Masuud said, “Find richness by getting married.”
[For all the narrations, see Al-Durr Al-Manthur, v.5, pps. 80-81]
Therefore, do not fear poverty because of marraige, or because of children.
Allah has promised to provide for you, increase your wealth, just as He provided sustenance for your parents before them when they were young.
And this is, indeed, the promise of Allah, so who is there that is more truthful than Allah in His Promise?
If you liked this article, please share it with your family and friends.